Myanmar protester shot in the head the other day has died, brother says

20 February, 2021
A woman who was simply shot in the top last week as police tried to disperse protesters in Myanmar's capital passed away on Fri (Feb 19), her brother said, marking the primary loss of life among opponents of the military coup given that they began demonstrating fourteen days ago.

Mya Thwe The Khine, who had just turned 20, have been on existence support since appearing taken to medical center on Feb 9, after she was hit with what doctors said was a live bullet at a protest in the administrative centre, Naypyidaw.

"I look and feel really sad and also have nothing to say," said her brother, Ye Htut Aung, speaking by phone.

Her death was as well confirmed by a healthcare facility where she had been treated.

"We confirmed her death at 11am," stated a health care provider, who declined to be known as. "We've sent her physique to be examined." 

Mya Thwe Thwe Khine, a grocery store worker, was among hundreds of thousands across the country who took to the streets in outrage above the ousting of civilian innovator Aung San Suu Kyi in a army coup.

Friday marks fourteen days of daily demonstrations against the military's seizure of vitality and the arrest of Aung San Suu Kyi and different senior statistics from the ruling party.

Mya Thwe Thwe Khine, the only protester to be killed because the start of coup, is now a household name across Myanmar and her plight has gained international attention.

Military spokesman-turned-deputy information minster Zaw Min Tun confirmed this week that she had been shot, and said authorities will continue to investigate the case.

Mya Thwe Thwe Khine's death could turn into a rallying cry for the protesters who were again on the roads on Friday.

"I'm pleased with her and I'll turn out until we achieve our target on her behalf," protester Nay Lin Htet, 24, told Reuters at a rally in the primary city of Yangon.

The protests in towns and cities throughout the ethnically diverse country have been more peaceful compared to the bloodily suppressed demonstrations during almost 50 years of direct armed service rule up to 2011.

But law enforcement have fired rubber bullets many times to split up crowds. The army says one policeman died of accidents sustained in a protest.

The UN office in Myanmar and international rights groups called on the security forces in order to avoid using force.

In Myitkyina, baton-wielding police and soldiers dispatched protesters scattering down a street lined with shops, video on interpersonal media showed.

Rights activist Stella Naw said about 50 persons were detained but later released.

Protesters at a good memorial found in Yangon for Mya Thwe Thwe Khine, a good protester who died after she was first shot in the top. (Photo: Naung Kham)
Clashes have occurred found in the town, the administrative centre of Kachin State, in the last two weeks with law enforcement firing rubber bullets and working with catapults to disperse crowds.

Police in Yangon sealed off the city's main protest site nearby the Sule Pagoda, establishing barricades on gain access to roads to a great intersection where thousands own gathered this week.

Hundreds of folks gathered in the barricades anyway, a witness said, while a good procession of thousands of formed at another protest site nearby the university and set off for the town centre.

The demonstrations have sometimes taken on a festive air and LGBT legal rights campaigners marched in Yangon within the second city of Mandalay, chefs create melons carved with the message "Justice for Myanmar".